Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Fundraising

So, we are faced with a huge bill for this adoption upwards of 40 grand...um, yeah...that number is a little scary for a lot of people. It's a really nice new car, or down payment on a house, even a year's tuition to college. There are so many fees and checks to write in order for this to go through, not to mention the regular expenses that come with raising a child! So, we are looking into ways of fundraising and making this work. Dave's parents are going to help us out as much as they can and we need to raise a chunk of money on our own to supplement the rest. Thankfully Dave's job offers adoption assistance in the form of reimbursement which will help out tremendously, but it's just coming up with the initial money. So, we are looking into doing a silent auction type thing in the next few months. We will need to hit up everyone we know to help out and donate. As much as I hate asking my friends to help and donate, it's a necessary evil. So, if you have anything you'd like to donate, time, a service, something material, let me know!

I know we are not alone in this quest, and in these difficult economic times, it makes this plan a little crazy, but we have to try. I want to try to make this big event as fun as possible, lots of food, friends and family, maybe some music...basically a big party that people will bid on things. It's a strange idea, but aside from hawking candy bars at the local grocery store (believe me, I've thought about it) at least it would be fun and people would hopefully have a good time while donating their money to this cause. If you dear reader can think of any other ways to raise money, I would love to field ideas! Let me have 'em! Oh, just so you all know, each one of you will be invited to this shindig! It's a good thing I love planning parties like this and I think it'll be a lot of fun!

As if the home study, paperwork and waiting weren't bad enough, we need to throw in the added stress of financing this whole process...I know we will get through this, it's just a small hurdle in this long race.

I just wish it was a little easier on the wallet.

Thanks for reading, keep an eye out for dates and times!

-D

4 comments:

  1. Deb, I am so excited for you and Dave and look forward to following your journey. I would love to help in anyway I can with your fundraising. I don't really know what I could donate for a silent auction, but I'll be thinking about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered recruiting your friends/family to hold a community yard sale? If people don't have something to donate for an auction, surely they MUST have unwanted stuff around the house they could sell for this very important cause! Then at the yard sale, you could have a bake sale or maybe sell raffle tickets for something? Just a thought :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We plan on a few yards sales when the weather get better, we have tons of stuff from previous yard sales in the garage that I am itching to get rid of! Right now both sets of parents are donating a time share week that we are hoping brings in a bit of cash to the silent auction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb, i dont have any type of "service" that I can think of to donate, but I'd be more then willing to get a bunch of things to eat together... I LOVE baking and hey, it's for an amazing cause. I can make chilis and all kinds of yummy stuff in bulk :-)

    ReplyDelete